Why use a letting agent?
There are a whole host of reasons landlords prefer to use letting agents, but the main one is for their knowledge of regulations and legislation. If deposits, evictions, or tenancy agreements are not handled properly, it could cause you a lot of hassle – and money.
Professional letting agents can help with all aspects of the letting process, including:
- Finding a tenant. It’s important that the right tenant is found, someone who passes reference and credit checks. A letting agent can take care of all of this and can advertise the property on their own website and relevant property portals to attract a wide audience.
- The tenancy agreement. An Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is required for the letting period and includes all the conditions such as the length of the let, the deposit paid, the monthly rent, and any restrictions such as pets or smoking. Once signed by both parties, this is legally binding. Asking a letting agent to prepare this agreement will ensure it’s done properly and includes all the required information.
- Deposit protection. It’s a legal requirement that deposits must be placed in a deposit protection scheme, which a letting agent can arrange.
- Inventory reports. These are typically done just before a tenant checks in and just after a tenant checks out, and provide a full independent report, with photos, on the condition of the property. This is a really useful way of proving if anything that has been damaged or gone missing during the length of the tenancy.
- Maintenance issues. Landlords have an obligation to ensure tenants are safe, warm, and dry during the tenancy and need to respond to electrical, plumbing and heating issues quickly and effectively. Landlords can choose to manage the property themselves or ask their letting agent to do this for them, for a fee. The benefit of using an agent is that they have a range of reliable tradespeople they work with regularly, and they will ensure any issues are rectified properly, safely, and promptly.
It’s important to find a professional letting agent who has experience, knowledge, and a trusted reputation. Property review website Allagents.co.uk is a great way to find an agent as it’s based on thousands of independent reviews from customers. To see what customers have been saying about smarthomes please click here: www.allagents.co.uk/smart-homes/
If you need any advice on lettings, please get in touch with us on 0121 744 4144 or click here for more information: